Pages

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Marae Trip (Shared Writing)

WALT: write a recount

That means we are writing about an experience that we have had.

Success Criteria:
Write what we enjoyed
Write about how we felt
Add detail about what I did
Write about what it looked like



I felt a little bit nervous as we walked up the path. The girls were doing the karanga and I knew that it was going to be a special day. Before we walked inside we all had to take our shoes off. once we sat down I spent a little bit of time looking at the carvings. They looked like maori warriors frozen still and stuck to the wall. They made me feel a little bit scared. David and the other leader started out with a speech. They spoke a little bit of Maori and a little bit of English. The leader of the tangata whenua spoke about the special people that are connected to the marae that had past away. Thier photos were hanging on the back wall. The part of the powhiri that I was most excited about was the hongi. I wasn't feeling very confident but I wanted to give it a try. The line was moving very slowly and the boys went first. They all did such a great job. Then I was my turn and I did it. It felt so good afterwards and I am so glad I gave it a try.

1 comment:

  1. Allanah (Fletcher's Mum)April 12, 2013 at 10:24 PM

    I have also always enjoyed looking at the carvings on the Marae. I was anxious too when I did my first hongi, thinking I might end up bumping heads but like you I found it felt good and it was surprisingly easy and natural. I have enjoyed your shared writing - I like the way you told me how you felt about things which has made me felt like I was there with you.

    ReplyDelete